We need your help today to protect immigrant victims of sexual and domestic violence.
Please call the members of the House Courts Criminal Law Subcommittee today and ask them to defeat the following legislation that threatens access to safety for victims of sexual and domestic violence: House Bill 89, House Bill 108, House Bill 320, House Bill 472, House Bill 958, House Bill 1060 and House Bill 1001.
This Wednesday, February 8, the House Courts of Justice Criminal Law Subcommittee will consider the above bills that would threaten access to safety for immigrant victims of sexual and domestic violence. The bills, all of which deal with the ability of local and state law enforcement to enforce civil immigration laws, will impede the ability of immigrant victims to access law enforcement and undercut community policing and efforts to enhance victim/witness cooperation in criminal investigations and prosecutions.
Members of the House Courts Criminal Subcommittee:
Delegate Rob Bell: 804-698-1058 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Delegate Dave Albo: 804-698-1042 or email@example.com
Delegate Ben Cline:804-698-1024 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Delegate Todd Gilbert: 804-698-1015 or email@example.com
Delegate Jackson Miller: 804-698-1050 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Delegate Ron Villanueva: 804-698-1021 or email@example.com
Delegate Rick Morris: 804-698-1064 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Delegate Vivian Watts: 804-698-1039 or email@example.com
Delegate Charniele Herring: 804-698-1046 firstname.lastname@example.org
Suggested talking points:
- If approved, these bills would threaten access to safety for victims of sexual and domestic violence and will discourage victims and witnesses from reporting acts of sexual and domestic violence.
- Victims of domestic violence and sexual assault already face tremendous barriers to reporting.
- When victims perceive that law enforcement is to be feared rather than trusted, it undercuts community policing and efforts to enhance victim/witness cooperation in criminal investigations and prosecutions.
- Please protect access to safety for sexual and domestic violence victims by rejecting these bills.
For questions or more information, please contact Kristine Hall or Gena Boyle at 804-377-0335 or email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Reject Immigration-related bills that threaten access to safety for victims of sexual and domestic violence (preventviolence.wordpress.com)
- Special thanks to Delegate Herring and Senator Herring (rcasa.wordpress.com)
- Legislative Advocacy Day at with VA ACTION ALLIANCE (rcasa.wordpress.com)
- Lobby for Sexual and Domestic Violence Services and Funding (preventviolence.wordpress.com)
- Peace Begins at Home license plate (preventviolence.wordpress.com)