Sexual assault affects every community in Virginia
Nearly 1 in 5 women have been raped in their lifetime while 1 in 71 men have been raped in their lifetime. 1
Approximately 80% of female victims experienced their first rape before the age of 25 and almost half experienced the first rape before age 18 (30% between 11-17 years old and 12% at or before the age of 10). 28% of male victims of rape were first raped when they were 10 years old or younger.2
Sexual assault profoundly affects children and teens
56% of youth report experiences of sexual assault and coercion.
In 2010, Sexual Assault Crisis Centers in Virginia…3
- responded to 61,860 hotline calls
- offered 50,949 hours of advocacy services to 4,903 adults
- provided 26,570 hours of advocacy services to 2,123 children
You can help too…
Three out of four people affected by sexual violence turn to family and friends for help before contacting a Sexual Assault Crisis Center.4
1 -2 National Intimate Partner and Sexual Violence Survey (NISVS), 2010. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Published December, 2011.
3-4 VAdata: The Virginia Sexual & Domestic Violence Data Collection System, 2010.
- Sexual Coercion and Teen Dating Violence (preventviolence.wordpress.com)
- RCASA Friday Facts: Sexual Violence and LGBTQ People (rcasa.wordpress.com)
- Protect Against College Date Rape (everydayhealth.com)