ACTION ALLIANCE URGES LAWMAKERS TO REJECT IMMIGRATION-RELATED BILLS THAT THREATEN ACCESS TO SAFETY FOR VICTIMS OF SEXUAL AND DOMESTIC VIOLENCE
Richmond—Immigrant victims of sexual and domestic violence may face increased barriers to reporting crimes and seeking justice if the General Assembly approves several measures under consideration in today’s House Courts Criminal Law Subcommittee.
The Action Alliance today urged lawmakers to reject legislation that threatens access to safety for victims of sexual and domestic violence, including services provided by law enforcement, the courts, crisis services and protections made available through the Violence Against Women Act (VAWA).
“This is a fundamental safety issue,” said Kristi VanAudenhove, Co-Director of the Action Alliance. “Victims of sexual and domestic violence already face tremendous barriers to reporting. When victims perceive that law enforcement is to be feared rather than trusted, it undercuts community policing and efforts to enhance victim and witness cooperation in criminal investigations and prosecutions.”
The following is a list of pending legislation that the Action Alliance opposes for these reasons: HB89 (Albo), HB108 (Albo), HB 320 (Ingram), HB 472 (Albo), HB 958 (Bell), HB 1060 (Anderson), HB 1001 (Ramadan).
About the Action Alliance –
The Action Alliance has been Virginia’s leading voice on sexual and domestic violence for 30 years and enhances response and prevention efforts through training, public policy advocacy, public awareness programs, and technical assistance to professionals.
To find out more about the Action Alliance, call 804.377.0335, e-mail: email@example.com, or visit us on the web: http://www.vsdvalliance.org. You may also call the Virginia Family Violence & Sexual Assault Hotline at 1-800-838-8238 (v/tty).
- Lobby for Sexual and Domestic Violence Services and Funding (preventviolence.wordpress.com)
- Legislative Advocacy Day at with VA ACTION ALLIANCE (rcasa.wordpress.com)
- Special thanks to Delegate Herring and Senator Herring (rcasa.wordpress.com)
- Special Thanks to supportive of our bills regarding strangulation. (preventviolence.wordpress.com)
- Legislate for: Enhanced Penalties for Family Violence in the Presence of Minors (preventviolence.wordpress.com)
- Peace Begins at Home license plate (preventviolence.wordpress.com)